DIY Finders Keepers

A few weeks ago while walking Ronin I found a metal hoop that looked like it might have belonged to a lampshade in a previous life. Finders keepers as they say, right ?! I knew immediately what I would try and upcycle it into. 

I've always wanted to try to make my own dream catcher. As a kid I grew up with a few, that my mom had purchased privately from various Natives while we visited  Native American Reservations on our cross - country trips. 
My mom still has them and they are as beautiful as they were when she acquired them a bit more than over two decades ago. Here is a picture of one of them. 

  Picture credit to -Mija Flatau


The craftsmanship of these dreamcatchers is outstanding. I know mine would never measure up to the real deal but I was going to give it my best with the materials I already had at home. 


Here is what I used: 
metal  hoop [ you can purchase metal hoops in craft stores]
Hot glue gun
Burlap Rope
Chalk 
Some silk rope I had made a few years ago
Waxed thread 
Feathers 
Ceramic beads with big holes 

First plug in the hot hlue gun so it's ready when you need it!! 

I first decided on wrapping the hoop with some burlap rope. Make sure that none of the metal is showing through. 
Once I covered the whole hoop I fastened the end with a bit of hot glue. 

Next take the hoop and your chalk and mark your 12 o'clock point, 3 o'clock 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock points. 
Devide those quarters again by finding the half point and marking it with your chalk. 
[ you can also use little pieces of rope as markers or just visualize it] 

For me two trials later, using the right materials to do the web pattern it final worked out. No tearing of the thread !! Can I tell you it is extremely frustrating when you are literaly done and all of a sudden the cotton thread, yarn breaks and the web falls apart!! 

Therefore I really suggest using waxed thread. The wax keeps the loops you weave in place and it won't tear on you. 
Here is an illustration of how to weave the web. 


Once I started weaving it was such a relaxing movement that in no time* I had a homemade dreamcatcher that I am happy and proud to hang in my home. 

* It only took 10 minutes of meditative web weaving to complete the dreamcatcher. 


Comments