FLIP...

THE FLOPPY HAT 
  from floppy to .... you fill in the blank


The hat above is the subject for this DIY.  I have had this floppy sun hat for a few years. But the wide brim started to be more floppy than I wanted. It got too much in the way of reading and being able to carry on a conversation. So the brim got a trim.

Things I used for this  "Hat Flip"

Pointy sheers
sewing needle 
Super glue or strong glue such as E600
container [to mix starch mixture]
wide clean brush
Elmers school glue  
 


First I decided how much I wanted to take off. 

With my pointed sheers I carefully cut along the seam. It started to unravel pretty quickly without much effort. I kept the clear original thread that came undone attached as it was part of my "new" brim and would be useful later.*
Once I came all the way around to where I had started off  I snipped the loose straw end of the brim completely off and secured the other end to the new brim. With a tiny bit of super glue or E600 and a few stitches its all set and won't come undone. 
*Next I threaded a needle with the clear thread from earlier and used it to finish off the edge of the brim all the way around.
Now that the brim was not as wide anymore it felt much better but it was still too floppy.
So with the help of a mixture of school glue and water [ ration 1:1 ] I starched the brim. 


Make sure to lay your hat on a flat surface and with a clean brush paint the mixture all over the brim. Let sit to dry. 
I left mine in the afternoon sun to dry -  30 minutes later it was all set. 
Lastly I decided I was going to change the lace band that decorated the original hat and exchange it for a simple leather one instead. 
    
    Voila !! Old to NEW. Flip that hat

Photo credits go to Yamina Al Asadi of "All In Style" 

Comments